Any type of surgery, even one that is considered minor, will bring quite a bit of stress to your life. Not only do you have a medical issue that needs to be addressed, but you may also have some concerns about the procedure itself.
Even though surgical errors are uncommon when you take into consideration the number of procedures performed every day, mistakes can and do happen. Here are some of the most common types of surgical errors occurring in hospitals throughout the country:
- Operating on the wrong body part
- Performing the wrong procedure
- Performing a procedure on the wrong patient
- Leaving an object, such as a towel or sponge, inside of a patient
Although there are safety procedures in place to protect against these types of surgical errors, you may still have some concerns. Here are some steps you can take to put your mind at ease:
- Choose a surgeon and medical team with an excellent reputation
- Choose a surgical facility known for its attention to detail
- Discuss the details of your operation with your medical team before getting started
- Don't be shy about bringing your concerns to light
If you or a loved one is the victim of a surgical error, it's critical to receive follow-up care as quickly as possible. This can help you better understand what went wrong, as well as the type of treatment you require to make things right.
Once your health is in order, learn more about the cause of the error, the negligent party and the steps you can take to protect your legal rights as a patient.